Friday, December 31, 2010

Dawn At Long Beach

Ven. Sujiva - My Teacher

A poem written by Ven. Sujiva in July 95,
where I first joined his personal meditation
retreat at Ladang Pasir Panjang

Kota Tinggi District, Johor


A quiet dawn it will be this time
Not like yesterday
When storms shook apart the house
Awakening, casting aside darkness
Comes in with silent steps

As dust settles back
And the journey is about to begin
I wander about the wanderer
Who promise to come
But has not arrived
Awakening cannot wait
I’ll still be gone
And you shall not know me.

Just as I was about to meditate
You arrived as silent as the awakening dawn
You one friend who happened to be passing by
When I first saw you
I thought I saw something special
Now I know! Half of you is a monk like me
A homeless wanderer
But alas, the other half is a romantic fool.

To night our hearts will take flight,
Listen, the waves are calling.

Note:
Ven. Sujiva is one of the Buddhist teachers, who are responsible for developing a keen interest in vipassana (insight) meditation in many western countries. Since 1996, he began conducting meditation retreats abroad, particularly in Switzerland, Italy, Czech, Germany, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand & United States. He has also published several collections of poems and written many books on meditation. He ordained as a monk shortly after his graduation from the prestigious University of Malaya in 1975.

2 comments:

  1. That reminded me of the day I meet this great man in Johor Jaya what a great moment !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey brother, u met him at his center in KT la, I brought u there, and not in Johor Jaya... haha... Right?

    ReplyDelete